Sunday, August 19, 2012

At the Summit

No, I didn't climb a mountain--I am in Summit County, Ohio to give a talk on barn quilts. The Hudson Museum and Historical Society and the North East Ohio Regional Quilt Council invited me to visit. So here I am, enjoying some wonderful fall weather this morning as I prepare for my talk. Yesterday, when I arrived, my hostess, Vivian Copley, took me to see the two barn quilts that we had located in the area. Vivian has spotted one that is visible from the interstate, and she tracked it down at Maple Crest farm. This is mostly a horse farm, but we also met some friendly goats and saw some very unusual chickens.
The farm boasts a quilt block designed for the town's bicentennial in 2011. The owners worked with Donna Sue Groves, my coauthor and founder of the quilt trail, to complete the project.

This barn quilt loves at a terrific location--the Crown Point Ecology Center. The inside of the barn was full of festive decorations, as the facility was hosting a fundraiser last night. It looked as if we were missing on on a great event, but with a big day today, we had to move on.

I so enjoy traveling to talk about barn quilts and my book! As soon as I get home, I will begin work on my 2013 calendar so that I can have them ready for my trip to Festival in Houston. I hope to see some of you there!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Suzi, I've been getting great feedback across the US from people who have never heard of the Barn Quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi, you hit the Seattle Times this week!

    http://seattletimes.com/html/homegarden/2019005455_barnquilts28.html

    Great to see a story about barn quilts in this corner of the country.

    Adele in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so exciting to see that awareness and enthusiasm for barn quilts growing! The article that grew out of my visit to Ohio was so nicely done; I am thrilled to see that it is being reprinted!

    ReplyDelete