Saturday, October 16, 2010

Another Friendly Farm


In my last post, I said that I had seen the block "Farm Friendliness" only one other time on the quilt trail, so I thought it would be interesting to compare the two. This one is on the Rannels farm in Vinton County, Ohio.

Bob Rannels was indeed a friendly farmer, who spent over an hour explaining how his barn had been constructed and subsequently raised--something I had learned was fairly common. The other interesting this about this barn is that the roof is made of slate tiles, just like the ones that were used on churches and other public buildings in the eighteenth century.

Bob had some extra tiles nearby, and he gave me one to take with me as a souvenir. I just realized that this post has something else in common with the last one as well. That slate piece caused havoc at the security gate at the Cincinnati airport!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was just wondering if you know if there are any barn quilts in Cook County in Illinois? I have the opportunity to design and paint one for the Children's Farm in Palos Park, IL and just wondered if this would be the first in Cook County. I'm very excited about this but I'm having shoulder surgery on Monday so it will have to wait awhile!! But I can design while recuperating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin,

    As far as I know there are none. There are three Illinois trails, but I have not heard of any in Cook County. You are very near one of my favorite trails--the Barn Quilts of Kankakee County. If you haven't checked them out, you will have to do so when you recover--great source of inspiration!

    It sounds as if you are taking on a great community project--I hope that you recuperate quickly and are able to enjoy the painting soon.

    Send photos when you have your artwork hung--I guess that will be spring, huh? I always like to share news, both here and on Facebook.

    Best wishes,
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete