Sunday, January 17, 2010

Snow in Miami


That's Miami County, Ohio, of course!

This photo comes from Lonnie Tennant of Troy, Ohio, who is fortunate to live among some of the most beautiful barn quilts in the country!

It's hard to tell from the photo, but these are painted directly on the barn--the most difficult way to create this art form.

I had the privilege of meeting the artist--Rafael Santoyo--and he so humble about his amazing talent. We often say that barn quilters are quilting with paint. When I spoke with Rafael, he had a different perspective; he characterizes quilting as "Painting with cloth!"

If you would like to see more of Rafael and his art, look back to my August 22 entry, or visit the Miami County website: www.visitmiamicounty.org (their site was down this morning, but check back--it's worth the visit)

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your site. These are amazing. How great to take a drive and see all these blocks. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I have another great snow photo--from KY--waiting in the wings, so check back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi, I had to check your site again to update myself on your activities and take a look at all the beautiful photos you have here! It is amazing how the change of seasons can make us take a second look at them.
    I an eagerly awaiting the publication of your book! Good luck on it from Butler County, Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! And nice to hear from you, Lucille!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzi, Kathie of Inspired by Antique quilts mentioned you on her blog and here I'm enjoying the trail of the barn quilts. I love tradition quilts and drawn to them when I'm planning a new quilt. I've signed-in as your follower and will be back. Thanks for sharing such great history - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete